The New South Wales Government established the Sports Research and Injury Prevention Scheme in 1991 to provide funding to support sporting organisations and research institutions in their efforts to increase safer participation in sport and recreational activities.
The NSW Sporting Injuries Committee manages the Scheme in accordance with its statutory responsibilities under the Sporting Injuries Insurance Act 1978 to prevent serious injuries resulting from sport. The Committee is unique in providing support to research injury prevention measures and practices.
Each year the Committee allocates approximately $100,000 towards funding of such research grants.
The 2013 Sports Research and Injury Prevention Scheme Grants have been postponed until further notice. All existing grants are business as usual.
Purpose of the Research Project
The project must achieve its purpose through either:
- Applied research to identify and implement safer sporting practices, or
- Educational and promotional strategies to increase awareness and change behaviour.
Applications meeting the following criteria will be classified as eligible for grant funding under the Sports Research & Injury Prevention Scheme:
- The application or project is located within New South Wales.
- The project will deliver a benefit to the NSW sporting community.
- The project is to be conducted in partnership with a NSW sporting organisation.
The application is to be supported by a detailed, quantified project proposal, which:
- states the objectives and intended outcomes of the project
- states the methods to be used to monitor and evaluate the project
- identifies persons and organisations responsible for administering the project
- identifies all sources of financial and other support for the project
- includes a project budget and plan
- includes a literary review for the project.
The 2013 Sports Research and Injury Prevention Scheme Grants have been postponed until further notice.
For further information please contact the NSW Sporting Injuries Committee:
Telephone:       (02) 4321-5392
Click here for the Sports Research & Injury Prevention Grant Guidelines and for the Application Form.